- Genetic susceptibility
- Increased number of vaccinations and certain vaccine combinations
- Vaccination preparations that include thimerosal, a mercury containing preservative agent which is more toxic than other forms of mercury
- Toxin exposure and excess heavy metals stored in the brain and other tissues
- Digestive disturbances, immune system abnormalities, abnormal liver detoxification and errors in metabolic processes
What is autism?
Autism and ASD are characterized by normal physical appearance with onset of symptoms prior to 36 months. These symptoms include failure to effectively use language for communication, abnormal social skills and desire for repetitive rituals or behaviors. These children often appear withdrawn and out of touch with the world around them. Many parents say their child was developing normally and then began to regress in language, sociability and play.
Because no two autistic children are alike it is useful to view Autism as a spectrum of disorders varying in symptom pervasiveness, severity, onset and progression. All of these children have deficits in communication and social skills. The category of ASD includes: Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, Rett’s disorder and according to some sources ADD/ADHD.
What is being done to help these families?
What about prevention?
- Healthy diet and appropriate prenatal support during pregnancy and while breast feeding
- Avoid removal, replacement or placement of mercury containing dental amalgams during pregnancy and while breast feeding
- Appropriate infant testing as required by your state
- Avoid exposure to known toxic chemicals and heavy metals during pregnancy and while breast feeding
- Be sure your child is getting thimerosal free vaccine preparations. While many vaccines administered to children since 1999 are made without thimerosal it has not been required to remove thimerosal-containing vaccines from the shelves. Mercury containing vaccines are still out there!
- Consider a revised schedule of vaccinating your children, consult your pediatrician or naturopathic doctor
- Be aware of any digestive disturbances and get treatment
- Use antibiotics only when essential in infants and children