Immune Support with Zinc
It’s important to acknowledge ways we can support our immune system in protecting against infections as we shelter in place and prepare to return to being with others in our community and workplace after restrictions are lifted due to Covid 19. Dr. Fassler shares in this video how to identify if you have a zinc deficiency as well as how even natural sugar in fresh juices can promote infection and suppress immune function.
DID YOU KNOW ZINC PREVENTS THE REPLICATION OF VIRUSES INSIDE YOUR CELLS?
Quercetin and epigallocatechin (EGCG) in green tea assist zinc in crossing cell membranes in to our cells to prevent viral replication. Thus, you may wish to drink organic green tea if you don’t already and consider supplementing quercetin as a supplement in addition to all the food sources in fruits and vegetables.
The cornerstone of health is to eat a healthful organic plant based diet with:
- A minimum of 4 cups of assorted vegetables per day,
- Healthy fats including extra virgin olive oil, avocados, some coconut oil and omega 3 oils from fish or algal sources
- Raw nuts and seeds
- Legumes such as beans, lentils and chickpeas
- Grass fed organic meat
- Organic sources of poultry
- Wild fish
- Organic gluten free grains such as quinoa, rice, oats, millet, buckwheat, amaranth
- Tubers like organic sweet potatoes, yams, potatoes
FOODS THAT ARE HIGH IN ZINC
- Shellfish such as oysters, shrimp, crab, mussels,
- Grass fed red meat
- Sprouted legumes such as chickpeas, lentils and beans (when not sprouted phytates in these foods can prevent absorption of zinc)
- Seeds such as hemp, pumpkin and squash seeds, sesame seeds and raw nuts
- Cheese and eggs
- Last but not least DARK Chocolate!
If you have questions or would like to schedule a free 10 minute consultation contact us: https://naturopathic-doctors.com/contact/
Our support staff is available to schedule an appointment or answer questions from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. They are also available on Wednesdays from 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm. Our Doctors are still seeing patients via telehealth during our normal business hours. We look forward to serving you.
1. Dr. Roger Seheult explains how the Coronavirus infects our cells https://youtu.be/U7F1cnWup9M
2. Zn2+ Inhibits Coronavirus and Arterivirus RNA Polymerase Activity In Vitro and Zinc Ionophores Block the Replication of These Viruses in Cell Culture https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2973827/pdf/ppat.1001176.pdf
3. Zinc Salts Block Hepatitis E Virus Replication by Inhibiting the Activity of Viral RNA-Dependent RNA Polymerase https://jvi.asm.org/content/jvi/91/21/e00754-17.full.pdf
4. Zinc Ionophore Activity of Quercetin and Epigallocatechin-gallate: From Hepa 1-6 Cells to a Liposome Model https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/jf5014633
5. Effect of Dietary Sugar Intake on Biomarkers of Subclinical Inflammation: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Intervention Studies https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5986486/
6. Diet and Function https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6723551/